Tuesday, 27 March 2012

Modeling Paste Technique Explained.

I have received quite a few emails asking me to explain my dry brushing technique on stamped Decoart modeling paste.
A tutorial on how to apply and stamp into the modeling paste can be found HERE.

Dry-brushing involves passing a paint brush that has almost no paint, over the surface of a texture to highlight and make edges stand out.
The technique is best employed when it is used with subtlety.
For this example I have used stamps from both myself and Lindsay Mason.
DSC_0395-(Medium)
1.  I apply a base coat first with a colour that I want to show through the dry brushed colours.
Here I have used Decoart Traditions in Permanent Alizarin Crimson.
DSC_0384-(Medium)

2.  Next I load just the tip of a dry flat hogs hair brush with my next colour, you want to start dark and gradually build up with lighter colours.
Once the brush tip is loaded I wipe some off the paint of onto a kitchen towel and start lightly brushing over the surface of the stamped texture, allowing some of the base coat to show through. Here I have used Americana Hauser Dark Green.
DSC_0385-(Medium)

3. I have repeated the process next with Hauser Light Green but this time taken more paint of onto the kitchen towel, so a dryer brush.
The direction of brushing is very important and should be perpendicular to any edges or raised detail.
DSC_0386-(Medium)
4. Here it is after the Hauser Light Green has been applied, you can see the detail just starting to pop.
DSC_0387-(Medium)

5. Next I have dry brushed with a little Americana Teal Green, not all over but in random places.
DSC_0388-(Medium)

6. Here I have loaded the brush with Americana Avocado Dip and taken much of the paint off onto the kitchen towel and dry brushed all over. 
DSC_0390-(Medium)
7. I have mixed a little Americana Titanium White with the Avocado Dip and repeated step 6.
DSC_0392-(Medium)

8. Finally, with pure Titanium White loaded, I wipe off onto the kitchen towel until only a trace of paint is left on the brush and brush over the surface.
DSC_0394-(Medium)
9. Here it is finished, as you can see all the underlying colours are visible still in places.
DSC_0395-(Medium)
Hope this helps,
Andy.

10 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful, thank you for the step by step.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great effect and so easily achieved too !! Thanks for the tute !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this Andy. Any tips on stamping into the modelling paste so as to get clean image? Thanks Andy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Lucia, check out the link on the post...A tutorial on how to apply and stamp into the modeling paste,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Andy I missed that the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is amazing ! Thank you for the link !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Andy

    Just wanted to say thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving such a lovely comment.

    This is an amazing technique and I'm going to have to give it a go! Thanks for sharing.

    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very cool!! Thanks for this! I never realized so many colors were involved!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tut. Now what size flat brush are you using....bright 8 or 12? Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated.